The trials and tribulations of a scatter-brained kitchen junkie.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Week 8 (Cooking) - Slow Cooker Chicken Sloppy Joes

Week 8's challenge was slow cooking which elated me because I am all about slow cooking. Being a full time employee, part time student, full time crazy dog owner... I love my slow cooker. I love tossing things together in the morning and not having to worry about it again until the evening. I love that the house smells like delicious food all day. I love not feeling rushed to throw together an evening meal.


The original plan for the week was for turkey sloppy joes, but when the grocery store was out of ground turkey I went for the next best thing. What a happy surprise this turned out to be.

After slow cooking for 8 hours this slightly healthier sloppy joe mix was indistinguishable to me from traditional beef slop. Hoorah for healthy options!

Chicken Sloppy Joes

  • 2 lbs ground chicken
  • 1 onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 red/orange pepper
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz) reduced sodium tomato soup
  • 1/4 c yellow mustard
  • 2 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 c ketchup
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Hamburger buns, rolls, etc. to serve


  1. In a large skillet combine the ground chicken, onion, and peppers; cook over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked thoroughly and no longer pink. Using a heat safe spatula, break up any large chunks of chicken as you go.


  2. Transfer chicken mixture to slow cooker; add all other ingredients, and stir to combine.

    It isn't pretty to start with, but it sure is tasty in the end.

  3. Cook on low setting 6-8 hours.


  4. Portion onto hamburger buns or hoagie rolls and serve with your favorite sides. I made sweet potato fries. Mmm mmm mmm.

Delicious and hearty, this simple slow cooked meal was a big hit. This one is a keeper!






0 comments:

Post a Comment