The trials and tribulations of a scatter-brained kitchen junkie.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 5 (Baking) - Orange Mini-Chocolate Chip Muffins

The original plan for week five's breakfast baking challenge was scones. Then I got lazy/ran out of time/didn't have the ingredients I needed in the house. So I did the next best thing and worked on, and I'd say finally perfected, a muffin recipe I have been fretting over for some time.



I love muffins. What's not to love? It's like a sweet crumbly bread that tastes like dessert but is socially accepted as breakfast. However, every time I try to make muffins from scratch they just never come out quite as delicious as the store bought or box mix muffins I'm accustomed to. Some people will argue well that's because true baking blah blah blah... Whatever, I want soft delicious muffins, is that really a crime?

No.

Good.

I've had some version of this recipe around for a while and I've been slowly refining, tweaking, and adapting it to better suit my desires. Hold onto your hats folks, because this is it! This is the mother of all muffin recipes! Your search is over! Other such sentiments to show extreme excitement and joy! I am a bit overwhelmed with my happiness, you'll have to excuse me.

Orange Mini-Chocolate Chip Muffins

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4-1 c mini-chocolate chips (optional)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp orange extract OR 1 tbsp orange zest (optional)
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 c orange juice (optional)
    If not making orange muffins use 1 cup milk and no orange juice
  • 2 tbsp sour cream OR unflavored greek yogurt
  • 1/4 c oil
  • 1/2 c sugar

  1. Preheat your oven to 375°
  2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. Stir in all but a small handful of the mini-chocolate chips (if using.)
  4. Mix the eggs, vanilla, orange extract/zest (if using) milk, orange juice (if using), sour cream, and oil.

    Mmm, doesn't think look tasty?
  5. Add the sugar to the egg mix and stir just until combined. Do not beat/whip, just stir.



  6. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingrdients.


  7. Using a fork gently stir just until combined, do not over mix here!
  8. Spray with cooking spray/line either:
           * 12 standard muffin cups
           * 6 large muffin cups

    I love giant muffins!

  9. Spoon mixture into each cup, filling each 2/3s full.

    I was solo this weekend, so I figured a 1/2 batch was more than enough for  just me.

  10. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chip muffins across the tops of each muffin.
  11. Place on the center rack in the oven for 25-30 minutes. 
  12. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean of crumbs. Melted chocolate is okay.




The magic of this recipe is that is can be tweaked and adjusted endlessly to customize to your palate.
Don't like orange? Don't use the extract or juice.
Want blueberry muffins? Add a cup of blueberries, cut out the chocolate chips and orange juice...

I hope you love these as much as I do. 





Tell me what you think:
Do you have a favorite muffin? What is it?
Have a recipe you love? Feel free to share it!
Questions? Leave a comment or email me at BakeMeUpButtercup@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment