In order to push myself to write a blog about cooking/baking I decided I needed to expand my horizons; I needed to reach out to these types of communities for inspiration. That first oomph of inspiration came from The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.
The gist was that I sign up to send out 3 packages of 1 dozen cookies to 3 fellow food bloggers, and in return receive 3 packages of cookies myself from secret santas. Then I have to blog the recipe. Read that again. I HAD to blog. Thus forcing myself to do something that, though I quite enjoy it, I keepfalling short in completing the task.
Now that the details are out of the way let me tell you about the cookies. I chose to make my (grand?)mother's macroonis. I don't know exactly where in the family tree this recipe came from, but I do know that from a very young age these have been my favorite cookies. And that is saying a lot from a girl who loves cookies.
What is a macrooni?
Every single time I get asked this question I kind of freeze up during my response.
Q: "What exactly is a macrooni?"
A: "Awesome. Next question."
Really though, macroonis are coconut, chocolatey, orange bliss. And lucky for you I am obligated herein to provide you with the recipe.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange extract (optional)
- 4 cups sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
Be careful to not overmix the cookies otherwise they will spread out and lose their shape.
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Quickly mix the eggs, sugar, melted butter, zest vanilla, and orange extract.
- Fold in the coconut.
- Fold in the flour.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tbsp onto a greased (or lined with parchment paper) cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes. The edges of the coconut should be lightly browned but the centers should still look soft.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Eat warm, or allow to cool the rest of the way and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
I know I said I'd post a Thanksgiving post, but my life has been very...chaotic as of late, and I was unable to devote the proper time to get together a post worth reading. Attempting to actually have totally put together posts each week(ish) instead of constant half-assery.